Over 800,000 tourists step each year into this magnificent Botanical Garden in Bronx, NY. Established in 1891, mostly on the lands of Lorillard family, the New York Botanical Garden is since 1967 a National Historic Landmark, recognized by the US Government as having a crucial significance.
Based on the three pillars of classical botanical gardens – research, exhibit and teach – the place is a must-see for the whole family.
You will all be charmed by the 50 collections, gathering local as well as worldwide species of flowers and trees, amounting over 1 million plants.
Things you need to know when taking the kids:
- No matter the time of the year you decide to visit NYBG, it will welcome you with the same beauty; exhibits are cleverly designed to offer 365 days of color and splendor;
- Check the dedicated website to see the special programs and workshops available for the time you will be visiting;
- There is a specially designed picnic area, if you feel like having a snack in the middle of the nature;
- Give your kids a few guidelines about the etiquette needed in such a place;
- Most of the area is accessible for strollers, there are just small difficult paths due to the natural topography.